Amit Chakma told staff UWA needed a new structure – he meant it
University Senate has adopted the new VCs change proposal (CMM Monday and September 28).
Key decisions include;
* abolish faculties to “give academic schools increased autonomy and agility to deliver the innovations we need”
* IT moves to the VC’s portfolio, “in recognition of the strategic imperative of improvements in this area to the university’s future”
* development and alumni relations “to report directly to the VC”
* arts and culture units in Global Partnerships moved to “more natural homes”
* a raft of changes to executive reporting lines
” The observation has been made that the university does not have a strong history of delivering change well or sustainably at the scale of what is now required. Having heeded the lessons learned from previous large scale organisational changes, we will ensure that leadership has full transparency, are aligned to a common set of collective goals and that focus on a sustainable university remains our target, whilst we make necessary adjustments to our operating model, ” Professor Chakma states.