Incentives to get out of town

The Senate has sent the government’s skilled regional visas legislation to committee

The bill allocates 23 000 visas to people who live in regional centres for three years before being eligible for permanent residence.   Among a bunch of government services, the visa will qualify holders for a Commonwealth funded university place and FEE HELP. Unis set to benefit are all outside Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth – and the Gold Coast.

The consideration will be quick, the committee is due to report on October 11.


to get daily updates on what's happening in the world of Australian Higher Education